Friday, January 29, 2010

Music (and shtuff)

It's amazing how music can change how I feel.

On nights like tonight, when I'm feeling down, and worried, and nervous, and anxious I can turn on my iPod, turn on a band I know can make me feel better, and just get lost in the music. It's like it takes me away from all my problems, even if it's just for a little while. It makes me feel like someone out there knows how I'm feeling. And I can listen to certain songs that describe my feelings perfectly. Like it was written for me. It almost makes me feel connected to the artist.

But the same way that music can make me feel better, there are songs that bring back memories that just make me feel sad. They remind of things that I miss, or things that were bad at the time, and make me feel that way again.

I think tonight, I'm gonna listen to the first kind.



People-

I'm not a real big fan.
I'm sorry, but... I dunno how to explain it.
People bug me.

But also, I love people.
Sometimes, people you don't expect will say something and not even realize how much it can help you. The other day, I was in one of my 'moods' and someone who I worked with a few years ago for a couple months just made a small comment that really helped me. He's quite a bit older than me, but not an old guy... I don't talk to him all that often, but his small comment on Facebook just helped me see that other people go through all the same stuff I am.

I dunno, that's just what I've been thinking about tonight, ha ha.

1 comment:

  1. There's something about music that's unexplainable, and it's truly magnificent. Oh, and I recommend the band Passion Pit to lift spirits XD (probably the songs Little Secrets, Sleepyhead, or The Reeling)

    "On nights like tonight, when I'm feeling down, and worried, and nervous, and anxious I can turn on my iPod, turn on a band I know can make me feel better, and just get lost in the music."

    You ought to tell us what's causing this anxiety.

    Lastly, I think if you can learn to love people, life becomes sooo much easier. The goal you mentioned in your last post I think is an admirable one. Sometimes, at our lowest points in life, we learn things that become really important later on. I've come away from some of these low spots with an understanding of. . . well. . . people. Once you start to understand that we're all in this together, all experiencing the same things, and all just working to make it through, it makes loving everyone a lot easier. Of course there will always be people that you'll have a really time understanding or loving (Glenn Beck might be one of those people to me =P), but becoming completely selfless, and always trying to understand other people will really make life easier. Truly.

    Becoming humble, loving, and selfless are, to me, some of the most important things in this life.

    You may have read in one of my posts the comment about "ego-death." The author was using ego-death in reference to an effect from drugs, but there's a more realistic form of ego-death. It's when you can truly figure out that you're no better than anyone else, and that all of us are really one.

    It's a bit transcendentalist, but I like to think that there's a metaphysical connection between everyone and everything. Plants, animals, humans, the creations of humans. . . everything.

    It's a bit like Avatar ;) (Which coincidentally was inspired by ideas from eastern religions such as hinduism, jainism, and buddhism -- which were also the things that inspired the transcendentalist tendencies I have as well!)

    It's a bit cheesy saying "We're all in this together." But it's so true.

    ReplyDelete